Sunday, July 4, 2010

Lilith Fair 2010 Falling Apart/ An Open Letter to Kelly Clarkson

Sunday, July 4, 2010
Alright. You may have been hearing that Lilith Fair is cancelling shows, which sucks, but this just got real. Kelly Clarkson has dropped out of Lilith Fair all together.

An official announcement was posted Thursday stating:

"With the news of the cancelled Lilith dates and my current progress in the studio, we've made the decision not to tour this summer. I am going to miss seeing ya'll, but I hope that when you hear what we've been working on, you'll be as excited as I am. I've been working with some amazing people and am stoked about this next album!"

Uh. What?

Ok, let me walk you through it.

(Disclaimer: Anyone who knows me, knows I am a huge Kelly Clarkson fan, so take the following as you will)

First of all, Kelly Clarkson was scheduled for 3 of the cancelled shows. She was scheduled for 11 other shows that haven't been cancelled. Are we all getting this? ELEVEN. That's nearly the rest of the entire tour. So unless she knows something I don't (re: more shows are going under) then this is a really bad move on her part.

Second, there is no apology anywhere in that announcement. Nothing for the fans who bought (rather expensive) tickets for shows mostly because she was going to be there. Also, I have a really hard time swallowing this excuse in general because its coming from an artist who has claimed many many times to love nothing more than touring. Plus, it's not like it was some dog and pony show festival down the street. This is Lilith Fair, this was supposed to be a big deal. Not only is she dropping out of a concert, but on a bigger scale, she is also dropping her support for women in music.

Additionally, I found out about this completely by accident. I didn't (and still haven't) received any notification from Lilith Fair or Kelly Clarkson. I'm really disappointed by this because by cancelling on Lilith in this way, in some cases mere WEEKS before shows she was supposed to be at, Kelly Clarkson has basically cancelled her summer tour and told all of her fans to suck it.

Finally, the people they got to replace her are, well, let's just say I've never heard of most of them. It would be one thing if they got other headliners to replace her. Let's say, oh I don't know, Metric or Ingrid Michaelson or Tegan and Sara. But no, who do we get to replace Kelly Clarkson? Joy Ike, Janelle Monae and Serena Ryder.

Bottom line, I need to see how quickly I can move to Denver, Kansas City or St. Louis.

Anyway, here's the complete list of cancelled shows for your viewing pleasure:

Cancelled Shows: (as of July 4)

Phoenix (7/8)
Salt Lake City (7/12)
Montreal (7/23)
Raleigh (8/4)
Charlotte (8/6)
Nashville (8/7)
Atlanta (8/8)
West Palm Beach (8/10)
Tampa (8/11)
Birmingham (8/12)
Austin (8/14)
Houston (8/15)
Dallas (8/16)

By completely slashing the bottom leg of the tour by cutting all shows from Raleigh on, the tour is now scheduled to conclude August 3 in Washington, D.C.

I have heard rumors of other artists dropping out as well, but cannot confirm or deny said rumors.

With 5 shows complete, only 18 of the original 36 dates remain to sink or swim. The tour continues in San Francisco tomorrow featuring The Bangles, Miranda Lambert, Colbie Caillat and A Fine Frenzy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is truly bad form to cancel like that.I would feel the same way, ripped off!
However if you have a chance to go see Serena Ryder TAKE IT!.
There is no more exiting talented and genuine female artist out there